Wednesday, January 6, 2016

Budget Diaries - First in-First out & Shelf life (Project understanding the shelf life of Fruits and vegetables)




Budget Diaries - First in-First out & Shelf life (Project understanding the shelf life of Fruits and vegetables) 


In my yester years I thought, how boring it will be being a house maker, you got to do nothing, sit all day long, my this statement might invoke a reaction of anger in some people but that's what I used to think, but not any more, being a homemaker is the most crucial things of all, it's a whole department in itself, and like any other organisation or business, it too requires strategic planning, trust me! You need to have a roadmap, do timely reviews, check performance matrices, change the action plans if expenditures go overboard, manage finances, make Gantt charts and if you are modern house maker, the tech savvy one like me, you will want to keep all of it documented, for future references as well. That's what I figured out. At workplace we used follow a FIFO approach for our work volumes, meaning first in-first out, what comes first goes first, and that used to help us manage our work better with least chances of miss outs and escalations. That's what I have been doing with my vegetables now! We usually stock up a week's supply of veggies and earlier by the end of the week many times I used to throw some in the bin because it used to be rotten, yup! Disgusting right? But true, that's a lot of wastage. Not anymore, I am focusing this time on the shelf life and FIFO approach. Understanding shelf life makes it easier to focus on what to consume first so that you get a nutrient dense food, and there is no wastage also. Like I said, managing household is a whole science in itself, you got to know it, learn it, master it!


No comments:

Post a Comment